Good morning families!
A few items to share with you:
1. United Way
Toy Sale Nov 22 & 23
Fundraiser to Support the Summer Success United Way Literacy Program
Please drop off gently used or new toys to Room 7 at Wilfrid Walker on Nov. 21 between 12:30-4:00pm.
Students will be able to purchase toys Nov. 22 at 2:00pm and Nov. 23 at 10:30am and 12:30 pm in Room 7. All toys will be priced at $1 or $2. All money will be forwarded to the United Way to support the Summer Success Campaign. All toys not sold will be donated to Value Village. Thank-you for your consideration!
2. School Clothing
We have had some issues with our order as the color burgundy did not print well. The clothing is being reprinted so delivery will likely be the first week of December. We apologize for the delay but do want to get it right! Thanks for your patience.
3. Save the Date!
Friday, December 16th will be a very special day at Ecole Wilfrid Walker. Students in grades 5-8 will participate in a Carnaval d'hiver (Winter Carnival) and students in grades K-4 will present Les Célébrations du monde (Celebrations Around the World). You are all invited to come visit from 1-2 and visit the various activities. A more detailed schedule will be provided closer to the date so you can organize your afternoon. Classes doing a dance, for example, may present at 1:20 but another class presenting a short skit may perform at 1:40, etc. Walk the hallways, visit the classrooms, check out the carnival outside, and get in the holiday spirit!
Have a good week,
Good afternoon folks!
Students are dancing up a storm in the gym right now thanks to our senior students, organized by Mme Youck and M. Proulx. Thanks for your help in getting the kids in costume for this special day. Take care tonight while you go trick or treating!
The Learning Improvement Plan for our school has been added to the Public Library (left Public Menu). Our staff is embarking on a journey to educate ourselves about the Truth & Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and encourage you to do the same. We will also encourage our students to ask themselves 'what can I do to bring more kindness in the world?'
If the weather forecast is correct we may be in a for a long cold winter so we are already planning for indoor recesses! We have 'recess buckets' for the classrooms but are always looking for donations of cards, games, puzzles, coloring materials, building blocks, etc. Please think of us if you are recycling any gently used toys.
Okay - back to the dance! Happy Halloween!
Good afternoon Wilfrid Walker families!
1. Menchie sales take place every two weeks thanks to Mme Youck and her team of volunteers. You can now purchase a card (for 5, 10 or 15 Menchie's) on Cash Online to avoid scrounging up $3 in change!
2. The next School Community Council meeting will be November 23rd at 6:15. Last night's meeting focused on our school and community's response to the Truth and Reconciliation call to action as well as how best to support teachers in their work with their students. The SCC has once again approved a budget for teachers to add items to their classrooms or purchase materials for a special activity. Many thanks! You are always welcome to attend a meeting if you are interested!
3. On Monday students will be dressing up their teachers for our Education Week kick-off assembly, hosted by our senior students. Mme Youck, Constable Young and I will be the judges. Should make for some good Twitter pictures!
4. Halloween is just 2 weeks away! Students and staff who choose to do so will come in costume and our senior students are busy planning dances for all the age groups, pre-K and Early Learning Centre included.
Enjoy the weekend!
From your SCC:
Ecole Wilfrid Walker donated this week to the Regina Food Bank a total of 350 pounds of fresh vegetables. Absolute great job!!!!
The weather has certainly changed and snow is in the forecast. Please dress your child in layers and plan for all types of weather. A light rain doesn't stop us from going outside so please provide a hat, umbrella or raincoat if possible.
Merci beaucoup Ecole Wilfrid Walker community for all of your toonies for Terry. Together as a school we raised $909.25 to help fund cancer research. It was a beautiful day as we walked around the neighborhood for this worthy cause and learned a bit more about Terry through some educational videos in the gym prior to the walk. Bel effort!
Reminders: clothing orders are due this week and the vegetables arrive tomorrow!
Have a good week and enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend!
Your SCC consists of:
You are welcome to attend any meeting! Meetings are at 6:15 on the second Thursday of the month.
The SCC's first fundraiser (vegetables) will be ready for pick-up next Tuesday (October 4th) from 3:37 - 5:00. Thanks for your support!
Time is flying at Wilfrid Walker School!
Thank you to everyone who attended our Open House & BBQ last Thursday. A special thank you to the SCC for hosting the BBQ. If you were not able to attend please contact your child's teacher for any missed information. Parent Portal usernames and passwords can be picked up at the office when convenient.
Thanks to everyone who has logged on to Cash Online and has started making payments in this fashion. If you need assistance, please stop in at the office and Mme Johnston will gladly help you get set up.
Good luck to everyone in grades 3-8 who are going to the French Heritage Days on Thursday. We leave promptly at 8 AM so please be on time! Staff will arrive at 7:45 and we encourage you to bring your child at that same time to ensure we are packed and ready to go for 8.
Immunization information from our school nurse is attached.
Clothing orders are due next week if you are looking to add some swag to your child's wardrobe.
Enjoy the sun today!
Good afternoon families!
School starts Thursday and we'll all assemble in the gym at 8:53. Parents are most welcome! We'll meet the new and returning staff and then make our way to our classrooms. See you soon!
1. Our final assembly will be next Wednesday at 9:15 (or as soon as we can get everyone in the gym!) Please join us if you can!
2. We are looking for a couple lunchroom supervisors for 2016-2017. Please call the office or send an email if you are interested or would like more details as to pay and responsibilities. email@example.com
3. We are also looking for library volunteers for next year. Your responsibilities would be to help students check out books, re-shelve returned books, and repair the odd ripped page or tape a few book spines. Please call the office or send an email to our new Teacher-Librarian Mme Youck if interested. Tracy.firstname.lastname@example.org
4. In the fall you will receive a lunchroom registration form. Don’t worry about the first day as we’ll be ready to keep all the kids who need lunchroom supervision. That form, along with several others, will come home September 1 and we would greatly appreciate a quick return as we count on them to build our lunchrooms.
5. Please join us in saying thank-you and good-bye to our departing staff: Mme Williams, M. Yeo, Mme Nerenberg, Mme Demers, Mme Bourlon, Mme Franklin, Mme Therrien and Mme Studlin. We wish them the best and hope they come back for a visit when they can.
6. A big thank-you to all our parent volunteers, lunchroom supervisors and members of the SCC. We look forward to working with you again next year as you are a vital part of the community’s success. Thank you for giving us your time and efforts!
7. The Before & After Program most generously gave funds to the school so that we could purchase new gym equipment for next year. An indoor curling kit, new rackets, new balls, new hula hoops…..the list goes on and on. Many thanks!!
8. Just a reminder that we will be using the online payment program as much as possible in 2016-2017. Please sign up by visiting our school website.