December 16th we will have an Open House so that you can come for a visit. If you are free, please come for a stroll through the school and/or playground!
Morning Kindergarten classes will perform several songs followed by a potluck of dainties at 11:00.
Afternoon Kindergarten to Grade 4:
Our Kindergarten (PM) to Grade 4 classes have been working hard on their Celebrations Around the World presentations. We hope that you are able to join us on December 16th from 1:00-2:00 as we teach you about the various cultural celebrations.
Each class will be doing 3 presentations (1:00, 1:20, 1:40) which will give you the opportunity to visit more than one classroom.
Here are the celebrations that we are going to be presenting:
Christmas around the World: Mme Gardiner
European Christmas traditions: Mme Speers/Mme Paterson
Diwali : Mme Baranga
Hanukkah : Mme Clements
Las Posadas : Mme Sexon
Chinese New Year : Mme Greene
Kwanzaa : Mme Franklin
Solstice : Mme Patterson
We hope to see many of you next Friday afternoon!
The grade 5-8 students will be partaking in a fun-filled “Carnaval Francophone” on Friday, December 16th from 10:30-3:30. There will be many stations ranging from Québécois legends and hot chocolate to an outdoor tug of war. Students are asked to dress for the weather. Alternative arrangements will be made if the weather does not cooperate. Parent volunteers are needed. Please contact the school if you are interested in helping out!
Merci Wilfrid Walker for all the toys and donations. We were able to contribute $295 to the United Way Summer Success Program. Students enjoyed shopping for toys. A great time was had by all.
As many of you already know, the stomach flu has made its way to Ecole Wilfrid Walker. Nearly 10% of our students and staff are not at school today due to stomach virus symptoms. We will be washing our hands repeatedly today and our cleaning staff will disinfect door knobs and sinks hourly. You can find additional preventative tips by visiting rqhealth.ca.
Good morning families!
Our K-4 classes are researching various celebrations in order to share them with you on the 16th. Always best to learn from experts so if you celebrate any of the following celebrations please consider calling or contacting the school to set up a time when you could share your experiences with a class. The children will have many questions for you!
European Christmas celebrations: Mme Gardiner/Speers/Paterson
Diwali: Mme Baranga
Hanukkah: Mme Clements
Las Posadas: Mme Sexon
Solstice: Mme Patterson
Chinese New Year: Mme Greene
Good afternoon families!
1. Clothing order update: all clothing should be reprinted by the 8th of December so we will distribute the clothes on the 12th, earlier if delivery is possible. Thanks, again, for your patience!
2. We look forward to seeing you on Friday for our Fall Conferences. If you are having any difficulty with Parent Portal or School Cash please stop in the office. Please take a tour of the library as we have many items in our lost and found. Any clothes remaining at the end of the day Friday will be donated.
3. Earth Rangers are visiting our school on December 5th with an assembly for 1-6 and a special classroom presentation for our grade 4 classes. Thank you to the Kendel family who won this opportunity for our school.
4. The SCC fundraiser of baked goods was a great success - thank you. Please pick up your order from the staffroom tomorrow (Thursday) between 3:30-6:30.
5. Please take notice of the crosswalk west of the school and remember to stop if you see a child wanting to cross. Our students and families rely on your safe driving habits.
6. You may have heard that we have added Conflict Managers to our junior playground. Two older students circulate on the playground at recess time to help students resolve minor conflicts. Many thanks to our overwhelming number of student volunteers!
Take care - see you Friday!
Good morning families!
A few items to share with you:
1. United Way
Toy Sale Nov 22 & 23
Fundraiser to Support the Summer Success United Way Literacy Program
Please drop off gently used or new toys to Room 7 at Wilfrid Walker on Nov. 21 between 12:30-4:00pm.
Students will be able to purchase toys Nov. 22 at 2:00pm and Nov. 23 at 10:30am and 12:30 pm in Room 7. All toys will be priced at $1 or $2. All money will be forwarded to the United Way to support the Summer Success Campaign. All toys not sold will be donated to Value Village. Thank-you for your consideration!
2. School Clothing
We have had some issues with our order as the color burgundy did not print well. The clothing is being reprinted so delivery will likely be the first week of December. We apologize for the delay but do want to get it right! Thanks for your patience.
3. Save the Date!
Friday, December 16th will be a very special day at Ecole Wilfrid Walker. Students in grades 5-8 will participate in a Carnaval d'hiver (Winter Carnival) and students in grades K-4 will present Les Célébrations du monde (Celebrations Around the World). You are all invited to come visit from 1-2 and visit the various activities. A more detailed schedule will be provided closer to the date so you can organize your afternoon. Classes doing a dance, for example, may present at 1:20 but another class presenting a short skit may perform at 1:40, etc. Walk the hallways, visit the classrooms, check out the carnival outside, and get in the holiday spirit!
Have a good week,
Good afternoon folks!
Students are dancing up a storm in the gym right now thanks to our senior students, organized by Mme Youck and M. Proulx. Thanks for your help in getting the kids in costume for this special day. Take care tonight while you go trick or treating!
The Learning Improvement Plan for our school has been added to the Public Library (left Public Menu). Our staff is embarking on a journey to educate ourselves about the Truth & Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and encourage you to do the same. We will also encourage our students to ask themselves 'what can I do to bring more kindness in the world?'
If the weather forecast is correct we may be in a for a long cold winter so we are already planning for indoor recesses! We have 'recess buckets' for the classrooms but are always looking for donations of cards, games, puzzles, coloring materials, building blocks, etc. Please think of us if you are recycling any gently used toys.
Okay - back to the dance! Happy Halloween!
Good afternoon Wilfrid Walker families!
1. Menchie sales take place every two weeks thanks to Mme Youck and her team of volunteers. You can now purchase a card (for 5, 10 or 15 Menchie's) on Cash Online to avoid scrounging up $3 in change!
2. The next School Community Council meeting will be November 23rd at 6:15. Last night's meeting focused on our school and community's response to the Truth and Reconciliation call to action as well as how best to support teachers in their work with their students. The SCC has once again approved a budget for teachers to add items to their classrooms or purchase materials for a special activity. Many thanks! You are always welcome to attend a meeting if you are interested!
3. On Monday students will be dressing up their teachers for our Education Week kick-off assembly, hosted by our senior students. Mme Youck, Constable Young and I will be the judges. Should make for some good Twitter pictures!
4. Halloween is just 2 weeks away! Students and staff who choose to do so will come in costume and our senior students are busy planning dances for all the age groups, pre-K and Early Learning Centre included.
Enjoy the weekend!
From your SCC:
Ecole Wilfrid Walker donated this week to the Regina Food Bank a total of 350 pounds of fresh vegetables. Absolute great job!!!!
The weather has certainly changed and snow is in the forecast. Please dress your child in layers and plan for all types of weather. A light rain doesn't stop us from going outside so please provide a hat, umbrella or raincoat if possible.
Merci beaucoup Ecole Wilfrid Walker community for all of your toonies for Terry. Together as a school we raised $909.25 to help fund cancer research. It was a beautiful day as we walked around the neighborhood for this worthy cause and learned a bit more about Terry through some educational videos in the gym prior to the walk. Bel effort!
Reminders: clothing orders are due this week and the vegetables arrive tomorrow!
Have a good week and enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend!
Your SCC consists of:
You are welcome to attend any meeting! Meetings are at 6:15 on the second Thursday of the month.
The SCC's first fundraiser (vegetables) will be ready for pick-up next Tuesday (October 4th) from 3:37 - 5:00. Thanks for your support!