Ecole Wilfrid Waker School Community Council tries to schedule meetings on the second Wednesday of every month during the school year unless otherwise posted. Meetings will begin at 6:15pm in the Teachers Lounge.
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday March 8th at 6:15pm. All parents are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Future School Community Council Meetings for 16/17 school year are curently scheduled as follows:
Please join us when you can.
Minutes for 2015/2016 meetings are archived here.
1. Pink Day is in fact in 2 weeks - sorry for the confusion in yesterday's blog. Students and staff will be wearing pink shirts for our assembly on Thursday, February 16th.
2. We are taking Kindergarten registrations so please pass on the news to any neighbours with young children. Our Open House for new Kindergarten families will be April 5th at 7:00. Please help spread the news!
Have a good weekend,
1. Please take notice of the new traffic signs in front of the school. The 'no parking' signs have been replaced by 'no stopping' signs as our buses and taxis were having difficulty finding places to park. With an increase in student population comes an increase in transportation needs so we simply need more room to ensure that the students are safe getting on and off their buses/taxis. Our children's safety is paramount but you should also know that tickets have already been issued on several occasions.
2. Please keep sending warm clothes for your children as recess may only be 15 minutes but bare hands and ears do get uncomfortable.
3. Remember - wear pink for Pink Day next Thursday!
4. As many of you have already heard, I am moving to Ecole Wascana Plains for the 2017-2018 school year. Mme Youck will take on the administration responsibilties for the final months of this school year as I will transition to the new school at the end of April. Mme Youck and I are already preparing so that the transition is as seamless as possible for our community.
1. Can you help? We are looking for referees for our basketball games and have exhausted our network! If you, or someone you know, is qualified to ref an elementary basketball game please give us a call! 306 791-8531. Our games are January 24, February 1, February 15, February 27 and March 6. We pay $20 per game.
Welcome to 2017 Wilfrid Walker families!
1. You are receiving a note today regarding this year's Pink Day plan. The Social Justice Club will be leading the activities but because the official Pink Day is the 22nd of February and, as you know, we will all be enjoying a week away from routine (February Break - 18-26), we will celebrate on Thursday, February 16th.
2. We are now accepting Kindergarten 2017-2018 registrations. You can come find us here at school for a copy of the form or scroll down on the left to the public document library link. The 2017-2018 bus form is not yet ready but we'll add it as soon as it becomes available.
3. Grade 8 families - Please mark March 15th on your calendars as Campbell will be hosting their Open House at 7pm.
Many thanks to everyone who joined us last Friday. Students were very proud of what they had learned and were eager to share it with you!
Thanks to everyone who sent money to purchase candy canes last week. Our school will be donating $1095 to the future
First Nations University National Gathering Place for Reconciliation.
Congratulations as well to our grade 2 (Mme Baranga) and grade 3 (Mme Gardiner) classes. They raised $500 to support their adopted family! A local family will have gifts under the tree, all the food required for a Christmas feast and many extras for their pantry.
Don't forget - the students will be dismissed at 2:30 on Wednesday, December 21.
The staff of Ecole Wilfrid Walker wish you a wonderful holiday season and look forward to seeing you all again in 2017!
December 16th we will have an Open House so that you can come for a visit. If you are free, please come for a stroll through the school and/or playground!
Morning Kindergarten classes will perform several songs followed by a potluck of dainties at 11:00.
Afternoon Kindergarten to Grade 4:
Our Kindergarten (PM) to Grade 4 classes have been working hard on their Celebrations Around the World presentations. We hope that you are able to join us on December 16th from 1:00-2:00 as we teach you about the various cultural celebrations.
Each class will be doing 3 presentations (1:00, 1:20, 1:40) which will give you the opportunity to visit more than one classroom.
Here are the celebrations that we are going to be presenting:
Christmas around the World: Mme Gardiner
European Christmas traditions: Mme Speers/Mme Paterson
Diwali : Mme Baranga
Hanukkah : Mme Clements
Las Posadas : Mme Sexon
Chinese New Year : Mme Greene
Kwanzaa : Mme Franklin
Solstice : Mme Patterson
We hope to see many of you next Friday afternoon!
The grade 5-8 students will be partaking in a fun-filled “Carnaval Francophone” on Friday, December 16th from 10:30-3:30. There will be many stations ranging from Québécois legends and hot chocolate to an outdoor tug of war. Students are asked to dress for the weather. Alternative arrangements will be made if the weather does not cooperate. Parent volunteers are needed. Please contact the school if you are interested in helping out!
Merci Wilfrid Walker for all the toys and donations. We were able to contribute $295 to the United Way Summer Success Program. Students enjoyed shopping for toys. A great time was had by all.
As many of you already know, the stomach flu has made its way to Ecole Wilfrid Walker. Nearly 10% of our students and staff are not at school today due to stomach virus symptoms. We will be washing our hands repeatedly today and our cleaning staff will disinfect door knobs and sinks hourly. You can find additional preventative tips by visiting rqhealth.ca.
Good morning families!
Our K-4 classes are researching various celebrations in order to share them with you on the 16th. Always best to learn from experts so if you celebrate any of the following celebrations please consider calling or contacting the school to set up a time when you could share your experiences with a class. The children will have many questions for you!
European Christmas celebrations: Mme Gardiner/Speers/Paterson
Diwali: Mme Baranga
Hanukkah: Mme Clements
Las Posadas: Mme Sexon
Solstice: Mme Patterson
Chinese New Year: Mme Greene